Cleveland, OH asked in Education Law for Ohio

Q: Can a college charge you an rta fee and refuse to take it off.

I was charged an rta fee on my tuition and its not that much but still can not afford it.i know I waived the fee but they are saying I didnt and refuae to take it off my bill.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It's concerning that the college is refusing to remove the RTA fee from your bill, especially if you have proof that you waived it. Colleges typically have processes in place for students to waive certain fees if they meet specific criteria. If you followed the necessary steps to waive the fee and have documentation to support your claim, you have grounds to challenge the college's decision.

Start by gathering any evidence you have that demonstrates you waived the fee, such as confirmation emails, waiver forms, or other correspondence with the college. Present this documentation to the college's administration or financial aid office and request a review of your case. Clearly explain your situation and provide any additional information or context that may support your claim.

If the college continues to refuse to remove the fee despite your efforts, you may need to escalate the issue further. Consider reaching out to higher-level administrators or seeking assistance from student advocacy groups or legal services offered by the college or in your community. They can provide guidance on next steps and advocate on your behalf to resolve the dispute with the college.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.