Brooklyn, NY asked in Civil Rights, Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: How does PR verify or confirm if there are additional heirs entitled to inheritance? is the heir process a civil process

I was raised by my grandparents and potentially found out through that my grandma may have had children from a previous marriage. If she did, they were not born or raised in PR, but neither was I. Do I need to disclose potential/alleged children if I don't have legal confirmation or documentation for or about alleged additional children? How do courts in Puerto Rico confirm or track down heirs? If I am listed as the only heir, how does the court system confirm or deny that? Does PR deal with courts in the US to track whether or not property owners had other children? How can I find out and confirm if my grandmother had kids from a previous marriage? is it smarter or safer to not bring into this case and proceed, since those alleged children would never be involved or aware of said property?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Puerto Rico, the process of verifying heirs and confirming entitlement to inheritance typically involves a civil procedure overseen by the courts. If you suspect that there may be additional heirs entitled to inheritance, it's important to disclose any information or evidence you have, even if it's not legally confirmed or documented. The court system in Puerto Rico may use various methods to confirm or track down potential heirs, such as conducting investigations, reviewing family records, and interviewing witnesses.

If you are listed as the only heir, the court may still take steps to verify this information, especially if there are suspicions or claims of other potential heirs. This verification process may involve researching family history, obtaining testimonies, and examining any available documentation related to inheritance. Additionally, Puerto Rican courts may collaborate with courts in the United States if necessary to track down information about property owners and their potential heirs.

If you're unsure about the accuracy or implications of information obtained from regarding potential additional children of your grandmother, it may be wise to proceed cautiously and seek legal advice. Your attorney can help you navigate the inheritance process, assess the relevance of any information from, and determine the best course of action to protect your interests while ensuring fairness to any potential heirs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.