Dallas, TX asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: I was sued for divorce in Jan 2023. I retained an attorney who failed to get a continuance granted, and I lost all righ

She attempted suicide 12/23/23. Woke up and bit my abdomen, an agg assault I have not supplemented the report with. She destroyed our 2700sf home in front of my 16yo daughter and 19 yo son, as well as our then 1.5yo.. she smashed glass all over the tiled floors and my daughter’s bathtub. She stole business equipment including my iPhone and MacBook, accessed, deleted portions, and modified others. Erased sensitive business data, tax related records and years of client contact information. She has a young gentleman attorney in Boerne TX named Casey. She resides with our son, at 130 Heinen Circle Bandera TX 78003 with her father and stepmom. I’m 46, she’s turning 30 in November. She hid my medication and caused a severe episode that has destroyed the parent child relationship I’ve worked for two decades to maintain. The mother of my older two who I spent 23 years with passed away tragically in 11/2018.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It is unclear what your question is. With the exception of a legislative continuance (which would not apply in December 2023), continuances are usually within the sound discretion of the trial judge. In my experience, most trial judges are more likely to grant a trial continuance if the case has not been pending long, and become increasingly reluctant to grant a trial continuance the longer a case is pending. The reason for asking for a continuance is paramount in determining whether a trial judge will grant one or not. In many instances, what else is pending on a trial judge's docket may affect whether a motion for continuance is granted.

Every divorce and child custody case is determined on its own particular facts. From your description, it sounds like you have some evidence which may be helpful to you, although none of what you describe is in and of itself dispositive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.