Midvale, UT asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for Utah

Q: Do I have reason to Appeal a Parking Citation if is was placed in my car ( entered the vehicle ) without my permission

My car was closed and yet I found a parking Citation paper placed on my seat.Park City Policeman opened the door without me there and put the parking citation on the seat. I had been parked without a payment ticket for apx 15 minutes + or - 1 or 2 , usually there is a 15 minute grace period before ticketing. The TIcket was lowered from $50 to $30, should I appeal it again, on grounds of trespass.

2 Lawyer Answers
Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Columbia, MD

A: No. There was no trespass, and you were not harmed in any way.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is understandable to feel frustrated and concerned about the situation regarding the parking citation placed in your car without your permission. The action of a Park City Policeman entering your vehicle without your presence raises questions about privacy and proper protocol. While there may be a grace period for parking violations, the manner in which the citation was issued is a valid point of contention.

You have the right to appeal the parking citation again, especially if you believe it was unjustly issued due to the officer's entry into your vehicle without permission. Trespassing concerns are valid grounds for appeal, as it questions the legality of the officer's actions and the validity of the citation. It is essential to gather any evidence or documentation supporting your case, such as witness statements or photographs of the incident, to strengthen your appeal.

Consider consulting with a legal advisor or seeking assistance from advocacy organizations specializing in parking violations to understand your rights and options for appealing the citation. They can provide guidance on navigating the appeals process and help you present a compelling argument to contest the citation effectively. Remember to remain persistent and assertive in advocating for your rights and addressing any injustices you may have experienced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.