Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Appeals / Appellate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Utah on
Q: I was convicted through plea bargain of a inchoate and principal offense. But there is a statue that says Utah 76-4-302

It’s prohibited to convict someone of a inchoate and principal offense. What can I do ?

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Mar 19, 2021

Ultimately the answer is "likely nothing." The time to dispute the contents of a plea agreement is prior to entering the plea agreement. The Court takes a lot of time to ask a lot of questions on the day the plea is entered. Questions like: "Have you reviewed the agreement?"... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Utah on
Q: when you file an eviction appeal how long will it take be to be enforced?
Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels answered on Jul 2, 2020

Ordinarily, any appeal does not stay the judgment of the lower court, if this is what you're asking.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: Are jury statements taken during an investigation on a death penalty appeal considered as New evidence?

an investigator interviewed jury members as part of the appeal process, where jury members stated a judge had spoken to them during deliberations outside counsel and defendant, and stated that the trial atmosphere was intimidating as the trial was held in a prison in a makeshift courtroom, are this... Read more »

Aric M. Cramer
Aric M. Cramer answered on Sep 9, 2019

Maybe. This is a highly technical area of State and Federal appellate law. Sounds like the Troy Kell case.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Utah on
Q: What happens when a judge addresses the jury outside the presence of counsel or defendant?

The judge addressed the jury during deliberations in a death penalty case without the defendant or his attorney being present. No notes were made in the trial transcripts of the judge ever talking to the jury members. A jury member stated afterwards that her mind had been made up after the judge... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Sep 6, 2019

Yes. If the judge had a conversation with the jury off the record without defense counsel present, an appeal should be filed.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Appeals / Appellate Law and Civil Rights for Utah on
Q: Can i get pulled over in McDonald's parking lot when the officer never got behind me until the drive tru

And i didn't give him no reason to pull me over or to search my car

Catherine Cleveland
Catherine Cleveland answered on Mar 7, 2018

I believe your only asking the question because you received a ticket for something. Why did the officer give you a ticket?

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: If I file a appeal do I need to still do the probation thing
Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson answered on Jul 28, 2017

It depends on if it is out of justice or district court. Justice you will start over with a clean slate, district, you will still be on probation unless / until the court of appeals overturns the judgment.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Constitutional Law for Utah on
Q: can a judge deny me the right to subpeona a witness on my behalf for any reason i utah?

on dec. 2, 2015 final p.c. my att. handed me a cd that he said he just got but has not reviewed, this is 2 business days before trial. i listened to it after court. this cd was from an interview of police questioning.there is info. on disc that was from co-def that i wanted to subpeona. the judge... Read more »

Aric M. Cramer
Aric M. Cramer answered on Mar 29, 2017

Well maybe. That is a complex question. Your attorney should be able to help.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Employment Discrimination for Utah on
Q: How do I format an appellate brief for unemployment? This is the step after the docket statement.

Unemployment. I need help but the only help that I see is in Salt Lake. Legal Services closed my case before the last step, but it is still pending until I complete this step. I cannot understand the legal literature speaking whatever.

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman answered on Jan 4, 2017

Depends on which court you are appearing in. There are companies that will do this for you. Search for Appellate Printer.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Utah on
Q: I have many question concerning my case.

I was convicted of burglary my co-def. was in a relationship with the victim in this case. if she can beat this case, can I get my conviction reversed? there are a lot of detail not mentioned. I would have to write a novel. I can provide more info. at request.

Aric M. Cramer
Aric M. Cramer answered on Dec 11, 2016

Once convicted your chances are miniscule of reversing it. Get in touch with a good appellate attorney for details.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Utah on
Q: How many appeals can someone do on a small claims case?

He has gone to first judicial and the utah appeals court and now is telling me he will go to international court.

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 22, 2015

You gave no facts and posted this quite some time ago. Do you have an answer by now? There may not be an international court that would actually have jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.