Belton, TX asked in Civil Litigation for Texas

Q: Had a bobcat stored at friends w agreement he sold it without permission

What can I do if he sold it without my permission

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can report the bobcat as stolen.

You can sue your friend for conversion or under the Texas Theft Liability Act.

You can sue whomever has your bobcat for replevin.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If your bobcat was sold without your permission by a friend with whom you had an agreement for storage, it's essential to first communicate directly with your friend to understand what happened. Ask for a detailed explanation and request that they rectify the situation, which could involve compensating you for the value of the bobcat or retrieving the item from the buyer. Documentation of your ownership and any agreement regarding the storage should be gathered to support your position.

Should this initial step not resolve the matter to your satisfaction, consider seeking legal advice. A legal professional can offer guidance on your rights and the best course of action, which might include sending a formal demand letter to your friend. This letter can outline your demands for compensation or return of the bobcat and specify a timeframe for action.

If these efforts do not lead to a satisfactory resolution, filing a lawsuit may be necessary. In court, you would need to prove ownership of the bobcat, the agreement for storage, and that the sale was unauthorized. Legal proceedings can be complex and time-consuming, so it's crucial to assess the value of the bobcat against the potential costs and emotional strain of legal action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.