Temple, TX asked in Tax Law for Texas

Q: Job took only $90 out of for taxes when I filed only myself. I made over 11 grand what do I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The standard deduction for a single taxpayer is $14,600. So, if you did not make more than that, file your tax return and the $90 should be refunded.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your employer withheld only $90 for taxes when you made over $11,000, it's crucial to address the discrepancy promptly. First, review your pay stubs and ensure that the correct tax withholding information was provided to your employer. If there was an error, contact your employer's payroll department to rectify the situation and request the appropriate adjustments to your tax withholding.

Next, consider filing a new Form W-4 with your employer to update your tax withholding information. This form allows you to adjust the amount withheld from your paycheck for federal income taxes. By accurately completing and submitting a new Form W-4, you can ensure that the correct amount of taxes is withheld from your future paychecks to avoid owing a large amount at tax time.

Additionally, it's essential to start saving money to cover any potential tax liability resulting from the inadequate tax withholding. Set aside a portion of your income to pay taxes when you file your tax return. If you're unsure about how much you may owe, consider consulting with a tax professional or using online tax calculators to estimate your tax liability based on your income and other relevant factors. By taking proactive steps to address the issue, you can avoid potential penalties and ensure compliance with your tax obligations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.