Lexington, KY asked in Tax Law for Kentucky

Q: As an international student, am i allowed to include the 1098 T while filing the taxes?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As an international student, you may be eligible to include the 1098-T form when filing your taxes in the United States. The 1098-T form provides information about qualified tuition and related expenses paid to an eligible educational institution, which can be beneficial for tax purposes. However, your eligibility to claim certain tax credits or deductions based on the information provided in the 1098-T form depends on your individual tax situation and residency status.

To determine your eligibility to claim tax benefits using the information from the 1098-T form, you should review the specific requirements outlined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for international students. In some cases, international students may qualify for education-related tax credits or deductions, while in other situations, they may not be eligible. It's essential to understand the tax rules applicable to international students and consult with a tax advisor or professional familiar with international tax issues to ensure accurate tax filing and compliance with IRS regulations.

When preparing your tax return, you should carefully review the instructions provided by the IRS and any additional guidance specific to international students. Be sure to accurately report all income, deductions, and credits, including any information provided on the 1098-T form, to ensure compliance with U.S. tax laws. If you have questions or need assistance with your tax filing as an international student, consider seeking guidance from a tax professional or advisor who can provide personalized advice based on your individual circumstances and help you navigate the tax filing process effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.