Hampton, VA asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: Donation of property requested for easement

I live in Virginia. I just got a letter today from the city asking for me to donate over 1000 Sq ft of my property for a utilities easement. This section would cover the entire width of my front yard back 13ft from the road including my only access to my driveway (its a dead end) and a section of my yard with a number of very large and very old trees.

What happens if we decline their request for the donation? I know imminent domain will probably allow them to take it but what are our options?

My neighbors also got a letter and they're against it too.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dominic Paul Lascara
Dominic Paul Lascara
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Chesapeake, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: By donating the property, the City will get use of that portion of your property for free. You may get a reduced property assessment from the loss or the shared use of the property, resulting in lower taxes, but the value of your property will also be reduced. If this portion of your property can be legally taken by the City through eminent domain, the City will be required to pay you fair market value for the easement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.