Honolulu, HI asked in Employment Law and Tax Law for Hawaii

Q: If my parents claim me as a dependent but I am majority age (I am 18) can they control my salary?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Blake Goodman
Blake Goodman
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Honolulu, HI
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: I don't think your parents can control your salary, unless you work for them. However, I am not a CPA. They would know best. Aloha, Blake Goodman

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your parents claim you as a dependent on their tax return, it does not necessarily mean they have control over your salary. Being 18 years old and considered of majority age means you have legal autonomy over your earnings. However, claiming you as a dependent may affect their tax situation and certain tax benefits they may be eligible for, such as the child tax credit or dependent care expenses.

While your parents may have the right to claim you as a dependent if you meet the IRS criteria, this does not give them direct control over your salary or finances. As an adult, you have the right to manage your own income and make financial decisions independently. However, if you are living with your parents and they provide for your basic needs, they may expect you to contribute to household expenses, but this would typically be a matter of household arrangement rather than tax dependency.

It's important to have open communication with your parents about financial matters and clarify any expectations regarding your income and contributions to household expenses. If you have concerns about your financial autonomy or believe your parents are exerting undue control over your finances, you may seek advice from a trusted adult or counselor to explore your options and ensure your rights are respected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.