Richmond, IN asked in Criminal Law and Social Security for Indiana

Q: If your a victim of identity theft fraud from a child up to an adult on social security

Also identity theft and insurance policy was mine

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've been a victim of identity theft from childhood into adulthood, including fraud involving Social Security and insurance policies, it's crucial to take immediate action. Start by reporting the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) through their website,, which provides a step-by-step recovery plan and helps you create an official identity theft report. This report is essential for further actions.

Next, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to report the misuse of your Social Security number. They can provide guidance on how to protect your Social Security benefits and offer advice on the next steps. Additionally, reach out to the insurance companies involved to notify them of the fraud; this can help safeguard your policies and prevent further unauthorized use.

Finally, consider placing a fraud alert on your credit reports by contacting one of the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion). This alert will notify potential creditors to take extra steps in verifying your identity before extending credit. Monitoring your credit reports and financial statements regularly for any unauthorized activity is also vital in preventing future incidents of identity theft. For complex cases, consulting with a legal professional who specializes in identity theft could provide tailored advice and assistance in navigating the recovery process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.