Charlotte, NC asked in Personal Injury for North Carolina

Q: I fell at a local resale store in March 2022. The insurance company for the store refuses to pay me for anything other t

than medical bills related to the fall. I got hurt bad enough that my right arm is basically useless as I have to use my left hand to lift it & my left knee is messed up to the point that I can't even get a knee replacement. I'm stuck with a limp & using a cane or other assistance to walk. I grateful for what I've got but it has cost us a small fortune for gas wear & tear of my car going to medical appt. But mostly the horrible pain that I have endured the past 2 years. What can I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If the insurance company of the store is only willing to cover your medical bills and you're facing additional hardships like loss of mobility, pain, and financial strain due to transportation costs to medical appointments, you have the option to pursue further legal action. It's important to document all your expenses, medical treatments, and any reports detailing your injuries and their impact on your life. This documentation will be vital in building a strong case for compensation beyond just medical expenses.

Consulting with an attorney who has experience in personal injury claims can provide you with guidance on how to proceed. An attorney can evaluate your case, advise you on your rights, and represent you in negotiations with the insurance company or in court if necessary. They can help in seeking compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, future medical care, and other damages related to your injury.

Taking legal action can be a complex process, but it's a step toward ensuring that you are fairly compensated for the full extent of your injuries and the impact they have had on your life. Legal professionals can navigate the legal system and work to secure a settlement that reflects the true cost of your injuries, both financially and personally. It's crucial to act within the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in your state, so consider consulting an attorney as soon as possible.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry about your accident. In terms of your question on what to do, one option would be to reach out to North Carolina attorneys who handle injury cases. Most law firms that handle such cases offer free initial consults. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.