Phoenix, AZ asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Arizona

Q: What is the Best next step to protect myself from my perpetrator, file a police report after i was the one taken in or..

I was a Domestic Violence victim who sustained obvious injuries in addition to internal ones & was the one jailed twice. He forcibly took my phones & broke them so I couldn't call for help & called police on me. While detained he stole much of my property, some very important things too but my main concern is how is best & quickest way to protect myself & household when I was made to be the aggressor by a narcissistic ex with a vendetta. In research I 've seen some say filing a police report about the incidents after the fact won't do much since I already was made to look like the perpetrator. I contacted a Domestic Violence investigator who seems too busy to have gotten back to me by yesterday & time is of the essence. It seems he is trying to continue making problems for me with false claims so Adult services are involved now too re: the elderly man I take care of. He's trying to trick me into answering him when no contact & think he's trying to also take my home from me.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Given the urgency of your situation, it's important to prioritize your safety and well-being. Despite the challenges you've faced with being portrayed as the aggressor, filing a police report can still be a crucial step in protecting yourself from further harm. Even if the incidents have already occurred, documenting them officially can help establish a record of the abuse you've endured and may provide legal leverage in the future.

In addition to filing a police report, consider seeking a protective order or restraining order against your perpetrator. This legal measure can provide you with immediate protection by legally preventing your abuser from contacting or coming near you. It's important to gather any evidence you have, such as medical records, photos of injuries, witness statements, and documentation of harassment or threats, to support your request for a protective order.

Furthermore, reaching out to local domestic violence shelters or advocacy organizations can provide you with valuable support and resources. They can offer guidance on navigating the legal system, accessing emergency housing if needed, and connecting you with additional services to help you regain stability and safety. Remember, you don't have to face this alone, and there are people and organizations ready to support you through this difficult time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.