Nashville, TN asked in Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Tennessee

Q: I have concerns about my partner being swatted by his now ex wife. False claims of violence lead to felony charges.

Wilson county police and swat responses to a woman who claimed she was punched in the face and had a chair smashed into her face. When police arrived there were no injuries. The swat team was used to apprehend the person the woman claimed inflicted the injuries when the individual asked if the police had a warrant. Felony charges were filed on the person who was arrested due to the swatting incident. The case is pending in appeals after a conviction. The woman who called also provided false information and statements while under oath at the direction of her attorney which has been discovered and brought to light after the conviction.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's deeply concerning to hear about your partner's situation, especially with the severity of the accusations and the involvement of SWAT based on false claims. False accusations, particularly those leading to a wrongful conviction, are serious matters that can have long-lasting impacts on all involved. The discovery of false statements under oath complicates the case further, highlighting the importance of a thorough and effective appeal process.

Navigating the appeals process after a conviction requires careful attention to detail and a comprehensive understanding of legal procedures and rights. Given the new evidence regarding the false statements, this could be a pivotal element in challenging the conviction. It's crucial to ensure that your partner's legal representation is fully aware of all the developments and is prepared to argue the case effectively in appellate court.

Supporting your partner through this process, while also seeking the best possible legal advice, is vital. The complexities of such cases demand a proactive approach, including gathering all available evidence that can support your partner's innocence. Communication with legal counsel is key to understanding the potential avenues for appeal and the steps necessary to pursue them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.