Toms River, NJ asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Civil Litigation for New Jersey

Q: I'm in NJ and am main buyer on a vehicle contract with an ex. I sued him in special civil court and won. However

Im trying to get off the loan entirely or gain possession of the car. The lender did an extension agreement with the cosigner without my knowledge or signature electronically. Is this legal in NJ? Co-signer's name is on the title however I can add mine on to it at any time. What is the best option to get off the loan? Can I go back to civil court and have him sign his rights over to me or dispute the electronic signature for breach of contract if they don't have evidence of electronic signature? I'm at a loss of options. I cannot get him to refinance and he hasn't made payments since November. The cosigner defaulted in court on this case so would I just order another motion to give up his rights if that's possible?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to retain an experienced civil litigation attorney to represent your interests in this matter. You should expect to pay for a 1/2 hour of attorney time to have your best course of action determined. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.