Tifton, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can back child support be stopped if my ex goes to fed prison?

I have paid back support for years to my ex for my youngest son. He is now going to be in a federal prison for life. My oldest son and I are moving my youngest son from Ocala to Jacksonville with my granddaughter. We have bought food for the household because there was no income coming in the house for years. Is there a way to have back child support stopped? I know that I owe less than 8000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This answer is based on Florida law.

First, a stoppage is not automatic. You can file a motion with the court that issued the child support order explaining why the arrearage is no longer necessary. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.