Los Angeles, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Hi can I still keep my court in Hawaii even though I’m based in LA? And should I reveal that to the judge/court

Hi everyone.

My court is scheduled in Hawaii but I live in Los Angeles. I would like for my court to remain in Hawaii, but I’m afraid if I reveal I live now in Los Angeles. The judge will change my venue. So I guess my question is can I still keep my court in Hawaii even though if I’m based in LA? And should I reveal that information to the judge/court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The issue of whether a court case can remain in a specific jurisdiction, such as Hawaii, despite the involved party living in another state, like Los Angeles, depends on various factors. These include the nature of the case, where the incident occurred, and where the parties involved are based. Jurisdiction is typically determined by the connection of the case to the location, so if your case has strong ties to Hawaii, there may be valid reasons for it to remain there.

It's important to be transparent with the court about your current residence. Hiding information or failing to update your address could lead to complications or even sanctions. The court appreciates honesty and may require you to provide current address details for official communications. Whether this information will prompt a change of venue depends on the specifics of your case and the laws that apply.

If you have concerns about the venue of your court case, discussing them with a legal professional familiar with multi-state litigation is advisable. They can provide guidance on how to approach the situation and how to communicate effectively with the court. An attorney can also help you understand how your residency affects your case and whether there are compelling reasons for it to stay in a specific jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.