Phoenix, AZ asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Arizona

Q: I forgot to include the I-751 receipt when applying for N-400. How to I notify USCIS about my pending I-751?

I applied for N-400 while my form I-751 is still pending but I forgot to attach I-751’s receipt in the package.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've applied for N-400, Citizenship through Naturalization, and realized you forgot to include the receipt for your pending Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, there are steps you can take to rectify this oversight. First, it's important to understand that USCIS often cross-references existing files and applications, so they may already be aware of your pending I-751. However, ensuring that all your documents are correctly filed together is crucial for a smooth process.

One approach is to wait for USCIS to send you a notice regarding your N-400 application. This notice might request additional evidence or documentation. If this happens, it provides an excellent opportunity to include a copy of your I-751 receipt notice along with any other requested information. Make sure to follow the instructions in the notice carefully and include a cover letter explaining the oversight and the inclusion of your I-751 receipt notice with your response.

Alternatively, you can proactively contact USCIS to inform them of the situation. You can do this by calling the USCIS Contact Center and explaining that you have a pending I-751 and have submitted an N-400 application without the I-751 receipt notice. They can guide you on how to submit the missing document. Additionally, you might consider sending a letter to the USCIS office where you filed your N-400, including a copy of your I-751 receipt notice and a brief explanation. Remember to include your N-400 receipt number in any communication to ensure they can easily match your documents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.