Yuma, AZ asked in Tax Law for Arizona

Q: My state refund was withheld to pay probation supervision fees, wasn’t a bill passed not to charge for those fees?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's understandable to feel frustrated and confused about your state refund being withheld for probation supervision fees. However, it's important to note that laws regarding probation fees can vary depending on your location and the specific circumstances of your case. While there may have been recent legislative efforts to address such fees, it's possible that certain provisions or exceptions still apply in your situation.

To gain clarity and determine your options, it's advisable to seek assistance from legal resources in your area. This could include consulting with a local legal aid organization or reaching out to an attorney who is knowledgeable about financial matters related to probation and state refunds. They can provide personalized guidance based on the specific details of your case and help you understand your rights and any potential avenues for recourse.

In the meantime, it may be helpful to gather documentation related to your probation terms, any relevant court orders, and correspondence regarding your state refund. Having this information on hand can facilitate discussions with legal professionals and aid in advocating for your rights. Remember that seeking assistance and understanding your legal rights can empower you to address the situation effectively and work toward a resolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.