New York, NY asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for New York

Q: My college forces all freshmen to buy a meal plan, i have food allergy and they dont have food suitable for me. can i su

My college forces all freshmen to buy a meal plan. I have celiac disease, and the dining hall fails to give me gluten free food or gluten free food without cross contamination. The food they say I can eat is prepared not in gluten free environments which leaves me sick almost the entire time I am at college. Is this grounds for a lawsuit?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Technically speaking, a lawsuit is almost always possible in situations where one suffers damages at the hands of another party or entity. But a practical question could be whether a lawsuit is the best course of action, if it is possible for the facility to accommodate your needs. In terms of injury, I'm sorry for your ordeal. But keep in mind that it looks like something that falls outside the typical class of physical injuries that most tort litigation law firms handle on a contingency basis. One option could be to express your concerns to the institution and request better accommodation for your needs. This is one perspective - different attorneys could see things differently. You could reach out to attorneys to ask their view of the matter. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.