Asked in DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: I am over seas for the DOD and my Drivers license has expired. I have a mark on my license due to DUI. What can I do?

My Drivers license is from Maryland. The DMV said I need an Ignition Interlock Device for 1 year in the US to have it taken off my license. I haven’t lived in the US for about 5 years, due to my work.

Is there anything I can do to get it removed so I can get my license again. It’s been 8 years all together.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You would need to discuss with your lawyer the reason the ignition interlock is required. If it was ordered by a judge or you blew .08 or above or refused a breathalyzer test, then you must do the interlock. There are no exceptions.

If the Medical Advisory Board has ordered the interlock due to a past DUI conviction, accumulation of points, or other reasons, then you must comply with whatever they want you to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.