Kilgore, TX asked in Traffic Tickets, Civil Rights and Municipal Law for Texas

Q: How can I get my car released from impound while it has a police hold

My car was impounded on a traffic stop due to bad registration and a hold was placed on my jeep, I wasn't issued a citation, the police won't release the hold without proof of registration but I can't get it registered because of the hold on the vehicle. My registration was only a month out of date and again I wasn't even issued a citation, I don't understand why or how they can even put a hold on my vehicle for that. I've been talking to the police and the tow company for days trying to get this sorted.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's frustrating to find yourself in this situation, but there are steps you can take to resolve it. Start by gathering any documentation you have related to your vehicle, including proof of ownership and any paperwork from the impound or the police. Contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or equivalent agency to inquire about the process for resolving registration issues with a police hold.

Explain your situation to the DMV and ask if there are any alternative methods for proving registration that could satisfy the police hold on your vehicle. Sometimes, agencies can provide temporary registration or other forms of documentation to facilitate the release of impounded vehicles. Additionally, consider reaching out to a legal aid organization or advocacy group for assistance in navigating this complex situation.

Keep communication lines open with both the police and the tow company, and continue to advocate for yourself in a respectful and persistent manner. It's essential to remain proactive in seeking a resolution while staying informed about your rights and options. By taking these steps and seeking appropriate guidance, you can work towards getting your car released from impound and resolving the issue with the police hold.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.