Palmdale, CA asked in Business Formation and Business Law for California

Q: I am in Lancaster, CA. I want to start my own business

I will be doing my business out of my home, online. I will not have any inventory, I will not be selling any products, I will have no clients at my house and I will be the only employee. I will offer a service and will charge a finders fee if the client agrees and completes all paperwork. I will operate my business as a SOLE PROPRIETOR and apply for a DBA. My question is.. What licenses or forms will I need to complete before I can officially begin work?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Starting your own business in Lancaster, CA, as a sole proprietor and offering a service online is an exciting venture. To begin, you will need to file for a "Doing Business As" (DBA) if you plan to operate under a name different from your own. This is essential for opening a business bank account and handling other formal business matters under your chosen business name.

In addition to the DBA, you should check with the City of Lancaster for any local business license requirements. Even though you're operating from home without direct customer interaction at your location, many municipalities require a home-based business license or permit. This ensures that your business activities are in line with local zoning regulations.

Furthermore, since you mentioned charging a finder's fee, it's wise to ensure that your business complies with any specific regulations related to your service industry at the state level. California may have particular requirements or permits for businesses operating in your sector, especially if your services fall under regulated categories. Lastly, consider consulting with a tax professional to understand the tax implications of your business activities, including sales tax collection and reporting obligations, if applicable. This preparation will help you start your business on solid legal and financial footing.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.