Louisville, KY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: Can a mother suggest venue, that isn't a hotel room, for a small daughter's visit with the father she doesn't know?

My daughter and 5-year-old granddaughter have a Protective (Restraining) Order against the child's father. He put both mother and daughter in the hospital five years ago (child was an infant). Last month, two 4-hour visits were the first time the child had seen him since August of 2022. Those visits were at a public amusement place. He wants to now take her to a hotel room, have her change into a swim suit, and return to the room for a few hours after visiting the hotel pool. There is a supervisor but the child doesn't know her either.

We are all concerned about this and the child doesn't want to go. She would be okay with another play place but when my daughter suggested this to the supervisor she was told that "**** will just have to get use to this!" She's five and it's very upsetting to be forced to unlearn all the safety lessons she's been told. Mom is concerned that she will be charged with contempt.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Make a motion to change the venue and the supervisor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.