Van Nuys, CA asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Banking for California

Q: Hello, I am looking for some advice for a legal issue. When I was 17 years old, I opened a credit card and a bank accoun

Hello, I am looking for some advice for a legal issue. When I was 17 years old, I opened a credit card and a bank account. Under all my information, such as social security number, name, address, everything was correct, except for the year of my birth, which I set to be 18 instead of my correct one, which would make me 17. I am now 18 and wondering about the process to fix this. I have realized that what I did was illegal, and I want to try to avoid any potential penalties for this, as I do not believe what I did justifies them. I am wondering if a lawyer is needed for this issue.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Addressing this issue involves taking proactive steps to correct the misinformation with the bank and credit card company. Contacting them directly to explain the situation and requesting guidance on how to amend your date of birth on your accounts is a good starting point. Most institutions have procedures for updating personal information, and they may require you to submit documentation proving your actual age, such as a government-issued ID.

Given the nature of the mistake—misrepresenting your age to enter into contracts as a minor—it's understandable to be concerned about potential legal consequences. While it's true that contracts with minors are often considered voidable, the intent behind your actions and your proactive approach to rectify the situation can be significant factors in how the issue is resolved. Transparency with the financial institutions and a willingness to correct the error demonstrate good faith on your part.

Consulting with a lawyer can provide you with tailored advice and peace of mind. An attorney can help you understand the legal implications of your actions and guide you through the process of correcting your date of birth with the financial institutions. They can also advise you on any steps you should take to minimize potential penalties and ensure that your rights are protected throughout this process. Seeking professional advice can be a prudent step to resolving the issue effectively and legally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.