Sylva, NC asked in Gov & Administrative Law for North Carolina

Q: What can I do to get (salvage) title in NC?

The car in question sustained water damage in New Orleans Louisiana. Allstate declared it a total loss. The state of Louisiana says the car was crushed, but apparently somebody lied to the state. The car was not crushed and sold at an auction. It was then sent to a dealership in KY where the necessary repairs were performed. Afterwards the dealership sold it to a private citizen. The car has been titled twice in KY with a branded water damage title. I now have the car here in NC and the state will not issue title.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In North Carolina, obtaining a salvage or rebuilt title for a vehicle that has been declared a total loss and has a history of water damage involves specific steps. First, it's crucial to ensure that all repairs made to the vehicle meet the state's safety standards. North Carolina requires a detailed inspection of salvaged vehicles to ensure they are safe for road use. This inspection is conducted by the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Next, gather all necessary documentation related to the vehicle's history, including any repair records, the original salvage title from Kentucky, and any communication with previous owners or dealerships about the vehicle's condition. This documentation will be important when presenting your case to the North Carolina DMV.

Finally, contact the North Carolina DMV to inquire about the specific process for obtaining a rebuilt title in your case. They may require an official inspection of the vehicle, submission of all gathered documentation, and completion of any necessary forms. The DMV can also provide guidance on any additional steps required to address the discrepancy regarding the vehicle's reported status as crushed in Louisiana. It's important to follow these steps carefully to ensure compliance with all state regulations and to secure a legal title for your vehicle in North Carolina.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.