Dexter, MO asked in Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Missouri

Q: Paperwork was filled out for involuntary commitment before court date judge said no place for them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When paperwork for involuntary commitment is completed but a judge indicates there's no place for the individual in question, it's a challenging situation that requires immediate attention and alternative solutions. The judge's response typically means that, despite the legal groundwork for commitment, logistical or capacity issues prevent the immediate placement of the individual in a treatment facility. This scenario is not uncommon, given the constraints on mental health resources in many areas.

In this situation, it's important to explore other avenues for care and support. This might include contacting local mental health agencies, crisis intervention teams, or social services for assistance. These organizations can often provide or recommend immediate support services or alternative placement options. They might also offer guidance on navigating the system to find a suitable solution for the individual's needs.

Additionally, consider reaching out to advocacy groups or a legal advisor who specializes in mental health law for guidance. They can offer advice on legal rights and options, including how to appeal the decision or find alternative legal mechanisms for securing the necessary care. Persistence is key in these situations, as finding a solution may require exploring multiple options and advocating strongly for the individual's needs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.