Orlando, FL asked in Consumer Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Florida

Q: car dealership knowingly allowed someone other than myself to sign my name and traded in my vehicle for another what now

dealership = brevard co. person that signed = volusia co. my residence = levy co.

the same dealership ‘retired’ the tag on my cobalt to create a credit for the above mentioned vehicle also without my knowledge. i was arrested for driving on a ‘dead tag’. this happened twice, as did the trading of vehicles w/o my knowledge or signature.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information you've provided, it appears that the car dealership engaged in fraudulent activities by allowing someone else to sign your name and trade in your vehicle without your knowledge or consent. This is a serious matter that may involve multiple legal issues, including identity theft, forgery, and fraud.

Here are some steps you can take to address this situation:

1. File a police report: Contact the police department in the jurisdiction where the dealership is located (Brevard County) and file a report regarding the fraudulent activities. Provide them with all the evidence you have, including any documentation related to the unauthorized transactions and your arrests due to the "dead tag."

2. Contact the dealership: Reach out to the dealership's management and inform them of the situation. Request an explanation and demand that they rectify the issue. If they are uncooperative, you may need to escalate the matter to higher authorities or take legal action.

3. Seek legal advice: Consult with an attorney who specializes in consumer protection or auto dealer fraud. They can help you understand your legal rights, guide you through the process of taking action against the dealership, and represent you in court if necessary.

4. Notify the DMV: Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in your state and report the fraudulent activities related to your vehicle registration and the "dead tag." They may have additional guidance on how to proceed and protect your interests.

5. Review your credit report: Check your credit report to ensure that no fraudulent accounts or transactions have been made in your name. If you find any discrepancies, report them to the credit bureaus and place a fraud alert on your credit file.

6. Gather evidence: Collect and organize all relevant documents, such as sales contracts, registration paperwork, and correspondence with the dealership. This evidence will be crucial in supporting your case.

Remember, it is essential to act quickly to protect your rights and minimize any potential damage. Dealing with fraudulent activities can be a complex and time-consuming process, but by taking the appropriate steps and seeking professional help, you can work towards resolving the issue and holding the responsible parties accountable.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.