Asked in Probate and Family Law for New Hampshire

Q: Is there a way to have an adult name change without the name on my birth certificate going away? Can it be an AKA?

I was born under one last name. I was step-parent adopted, and my last name changed, as a child. I was married, and my last name changed again.

Is there a way to go back to the last name I was born under, before the adoption, without losing my adopted last name on my birth certificate? Is it possible to have it as an a.k.a.?

Is there another option to keep my adopted last name on my birth certificate, stay married and change my last name to the name I was born with?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: In every state there is a legal method for changing your legal name without changing the name on your birth certificate. You might even find self help forms on the court’s website. If not, you should hire an attorney to help you navigate the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.