Passaic, NJ asked in Family Law and Small Claims for New Jersey

Q: Is there any legal action I can take against my uncle for giving money from my savings to my mother without my consent?

My uncle was left in charge of a savings account for me from my grandparents. I was told that I would not be able to have access to it until I turn 25. My mother is an addict and begged him for the money from my savings and he deposited it into her account without my consent. I'm not sure if there is any money left still but my uncle and his wife have blocked my number and stated that the would take legal action if I tried reaching out to them

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It would depend on the amount of money you are talking about. If you are under 128 then you should have your legal guardian take action. If you are 18 or older you could start with a complaint for theft with the local police department. If it is a large sum, you should contact the county prosecutor's office. This is not necessarily a matter that would be handled in family court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.