Visalia, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: If you have failure to appear in court will they suspended your DL

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, in California, if you fail to appear in court for a traffic violation, the court may notify the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to suspend your driver's license. This is known as a "civil assessment" or "failure to appear" (FTA) suspension.

When you receive a traffic citation in California, you are required to either pay the fine or appear in court on the date specified on the ticket. If you fail to do either, the court will consider this a failure to appear and may impose additional penalties, including:

1. Additional fines and fees

2. A bench warrant for your arrest

3. Notification to the DMV to suspend your driver's license

To have your license reinstated, you will need to resolve the issue with the court, pay all fines and fees, and provide proof of compliance to the DMV. You may also be required to pay a license reinstatement fee to the DMV.

It's important to address traffic citations promptly to avoid additional penalties and the suspension of your driver's license.

Nors  Davidson
Nors Davidson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Whether or not your failure to appear in court will result in a license suspension depends on what type of case you failed to appear for. For example, if this was a traffic related matter, then yes, the court will notify the DMV of your failure to appear and it will likely result in a license suspension from the DMV. Failures to appear or FTA's are the most common type of license suspension matters and are also the easiest to fix. Basically, you need to go to the courthouse or call the courthouse (check their online website first) to request to add the matter back to calendar. You must then appear for that court date and ask for the FTA to be recalled and this will most likely remove the hold or suspension on your license. If you need to check on the status of your license, you can do so at the DMV website, or by calling the Mandatory Actions Unit at (916) 657-6625.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.