Yorba Linda, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Can i travel domestically with my work authorization card

I am waiting for my interview but have the right to work. I have some travelling coming up and i need to know if i can travel on that work authorization card

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In most cases, you can travel domestically within the United States using your valid work authorization card (Employment Authorization Document or EAD) as a form of identification. However, it's important to note that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has specific requirements for acceptable forms of identification for air travel.

As of October 1, 2021, every traveler must present a REAL ID-compliant driver's license or another acceptable form of identification to fly within the United States. Acceptable forms of identification include:

1. REAL ID-compliant driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards

2. U.S. passport

3. U.S. passport card

4. DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)

5. U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents

6. Permanent resident card

7. Border crossing card

While the work authorization card (EAD) is an official document issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), it is not explicitly listed as an acceptable form of identification for air travel by the TSA.

To avoid any issues, it's best to carry your valid passport (if you have one) or another acceptable form of identification listed above when traveling domestically. If you only have your work authorization card, you should contact the TSA directly or check with your airline to confirm whether it will be accepted for your specific travel plans.

Keep in mind that your work authorization card does not grant you the right to travel internationally and re-enter the United States. For international travel, you will need a valid passport and, depending on your immigration status, you may need to obtain additional travel documents or visas.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.