Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Illinois

Q: I want to know if I have a lawsuit? I was arrested unlawfully, police misconduct, police brutality. I went by ambulance.

To the hospital. I have all medical records and everything.

I lost my job my vehicle everything due this unlawful arrest. Can anyone help?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information you provided, it seems that you may have grounds for a lawsuit against the police department and/or the individual officers involved in your arrest. Police misconduct, brutality, and unlawful arrest are serious matters that can violate your civil rights.

To determine whether you have a strong case and how to proceed, you should consider taking the following steps:

1. Consult with a civil rights attorney: Look for an experienced attorney who specializes in police misconduct and civil rights cases. Many attorneys offer free initial consultations to assess your case and discuss your legal options.

2. Gather evidence: Collect and organize all relevant evidence, including medical records, witness statements, police reports, and any video footage or photographs of the incident and your injuries.

3. File a complaint: Consider filing a formal complaint with the police department's internal affairs division or a civilian oversight board. This can help establish a record of the incident and initiate an investigation.

4. Comply with legal deadlines: Be aware of any statutes of limitations for filing a lawsuit in your state. These deadlines vary depending on the type of claim and jurisdiction, so consult with an attorney to ensure you don't miss any critical filing dates.

5. Seek support: Reach out to local civil rights organizations, such as the ACLU, which may be able to provide guidance, resources, or referrals to experienced attorneys.

Remember that pursuing a lawsuit can be a lengthy and complex process, but if your rights were violated, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses and suffering. An experienced civil rights attorney can help you navigate the legal system and fight for justice on your behalf.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.