Suffolk, VA asked in Criminal Law, Tax Law and Employment Law for Virginia

Q: Can I put a suite on a employer who illegally changed my federal and state w4 (year 2016) which enabled me to get refund

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your employer illegally altered your federal and state W-4 forms without your consent, leading to a situation where you were unable to receive a tax refund, you may have grounds for taking legal action. Such actions by an employer can have serious implications for your finances and legal standing with tax authorities. The first step in addressing this issue would be to gather any evidence you have of the alterations and the impact they had on your tax situation.

You should also consider reaching out to a legal professional who has experience in employment law or tax law. They can provide you with advice tailored to your specific situation, including the feasibility of filing a lawsuit against your employer for the unauthorized changes to your W-4 forms. An attorney can help navigate the complexities of the legal system and work to protect your rights and interests.

Additionally, it might be beneficial to report this issue to the appropriate tax authorities, such as the IRS for federal taxes and your state's tax agency. These organizations may also offer guidance or take action if they determine that laws have been violated. Taking these steps can not only help in rectifying your immediate tax situation but also prevent similar incidents from occurring to others in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.