Lake Elsinore, CA asked in Family Law, Elder Law and Probate for California

Q: What can we do

Two weeks ago Grandmother was diagnosed with cancer when being released from the hospital her daughter came and got her moved her into her house and took her phone not allowing anyone to visit or call her my mother who is her other daughter was the one listed on her bank.accounts and insurances as soon as she got her she had her change everything to her name which doesn't even matter but now she is in hospice and her daughter who she is living with still isn't allowing anyone to visit or speak to her before she was sick her daughter who she is now living with was never around or came around until she got sick my mom her other daughter was taking care of her checking on her and everything she just wants to see her before she passes but her sister isn't allowing it there is no reasoning with her. She tells my grandma what to say on the phone APS and police were contacted that did not help. She tells my grandmother what to say my grandma has always been scared of her

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you're facing a situation where a family member is being isolated by another family member, there are steps you can take. First, it's important to communicate your concerns directly to the family member who is restricting access, if possible. Clearly express your desire to visit and support your grandmother during this critical time. Sometimes, misunderstandings or miscommunications can be resolved through open and honest dialogue.

If direct communication does not resolve the issue, you might consider seeking legal advice. An attorney can help you understand your rights and may suggest filing for conservatorship or seeking a court order to ensure visitation rights. These legal measures can be used to protect the well-being of a loved one who may not be able to make decisions for themselves, especially in cases where their health is rapidly declining.

Additionally, contacting adult protective services (APS) in your area can be a step to ensure your grandmother's safety and well-being. APS can investigate situations where an elder's health or safety may be at risk due to neglect, abuse, or exploitation. Remember, the focus should remain on ensuring your grandmother's comfort and dignity during this challenging time, and exploring these avenues may help secure your right to visit and support her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.