Faulkton, SD asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Civil Rights for Washington

Q: What is the review in the Superior Court of Washington civil division?

I'm appealing an impound hearing which was held in district Court and denied in district Court of Washington.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Washington State, when you appeal a decision from a district court, such as an impound hearing decision, your case moves to the Superior Court for review. This process is part of the civil division in the Superior Court, which handles a variety of cases, including appeals from lower courts. Your appeal will be reviewed based on the record from the district court, and you may have the opportunity to present legal arguments why the decision should be overturned.

During the review in the Superior Court, it's essential to follow specific legal procedures and deadlines. You might need to submit written briefs, which are documents that argue your case and cite relevant laws and previous court decisions. It's crucial to focus on legal errors you believe were made in the initial hearing. The Superior Court typically does not re-examine the facts of the case but rather reviews the application of the law.

It's highly recommended to seek advice from a legal professional familiar with Washington's court system. They can provide guidance tailored to your situation and help you navigate the appeal process more effectively. Remember, legal procedures can be complex, and having the right support can make a significant difference in the outcome of your appeal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.