San Diego, CA asked in Foreclosure for California

Q: I hear mental illness protects your home. Does it protect it from a quck foreclosure more than 10 years ago,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, having a mental illness does not automatically protect your home from foreclosure. However, if mental illness significantly impairs your ability to manage your finances or understand the foreclosure process, there may be legal protections and resources available. These protections aim to ensure that individuals are not unfairly taken advantage of due to their condition.

It's important to communicate with your lender as soon as you realize you're facing difficulties. Lenders may offer modifications or forbearance agreements to help you catch up on missed payments. Additionally, seeking legal advice is crucial. Lawyers with experience in foreclosure and mental health law can provide guidance tailored to your situation, including exploring whether state or federal laws offer specific protections in your case.

Finally, there are various non-profit organizations and government programs designed to assist homeowners facing foreclosure. These resources can offer support, from counseling to legal assistance, aimed at helping you navigate the challenges of keeping your home. Remember, taking action early can open more avenues for support and solutions.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.