Allen, TX asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Can I travel to Puerto Rico with valid i20 but expired F1 visa, India passport? I do not have a US State ID.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Traveling to Puerto Rico, which is a U.S. territory, generally follows the same rules as traveling between states within the United States for international students. Since you have a valid I-20 and an Indian passport, you should be aware that the I-20 is primarily used within the United States to demonstrate your legal student status.

However, if your F1 visa has expired, it usually does not affect your stay within the U.S. or its territories like Puerto Rico, as long as you maintain your student status and your I-20 remains valid. But, you cannot re-enter the mainland U.S. from any foreign country, including Puerto Rico, without a valid F1 visa.

Before planning your travel, it is highly recommended to consult with your school's international student office and review the latest U.S. government travel regulations. They can provide up-to-date advice and ensure that your documents are in order for traveling and returning to your school without issues. Also, carrying proof of your student status and reason for travel can help smoothen the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.