Bakersfield, CA asked in Entertainment / Sports, Social Security and Tax Law for California

Q: I went to the casino & won $2,000 then went again & won $2,000 & $4,000 I’m on SSI do I need to report that to SSI ?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you're receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), it's important to understand that this program has strict rules about reporting income and assets. Winnings from gambling, such as the $2,000 and $4,000 you mentioned, count as income in the month they are received and could be considered part of your resources in the following months if not spent.

You should report these winnings to the Social Security Administration (SSA) as they could affect your SSI benefits. The SSA requires that all changes in your income, including gambling winnings, be reported to ensure that your benefit amount is calculated correctly.

Failing to report such winnings could result in an overpayment, where you might have to pay back money to the SSA, or even face penalties. Therefore, it's in your best interest to report any changes in your financial situation to avoid potential issues with your SSI benefits.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.