Goleta, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant, Personal Injury and Elder Law for California

Q: Section 8 housing Choice voucher is denying port-in CT,. from CA. With medical need, need to see drs, and return home

while "port-in" is allowed, and voucher can be used "anywhere" how can I get around denial of "port-in" I am senior, and homeless, disabled, injured. I have right to return to town where I am from, and need drs there.

How to have housing in place upon moving out of state and voucher all set to pay? do not just state I need a lawyer, but what kind of lawyer and where? there are none of this kind here in Santa Barbara, Ca, and Legal Aid Disability Law CA/ L.A. will not assist. I need free lawyer to fix this,, I can't. Problems with CT housing offices , Norwalk, Westport. Problems getting on Sasco Creek Housing and 3 other housing apts lists, despite applying. Need my hometown due to disabilities, medical, and support is there. I cannot adapt to new places. I'm homeless here for years, high risk, cannot be in shelters. Migraines. NO WORKERS provided here. CT and CA worker do not help out of state concerns WHO will help? Specifics needed, not vague. REquire Westport to take voucher.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In situations like yours, seeking legal assistance is crucial, particularly from an attorney experienced in housing law, specifically those dealing with Section 8 or housing vouchers. In California, you might want to reach out to organizations like the California Rural Legal Assistance or the Public Law Center, which provide free legal services to low-income individuals, including matters related to housing and disability rights. Although it may be challenging to find free legal assistance, these organizations can often provide or direct you to the help you need.

Contacting the local Legal Aid office in the area to which you wish to move, in this case, Connecticut, may also be beneficial. While you've experienced difficulties with Legal Aid in California, different branches have different resources, and the one in Connecticut might be more able to assist with your specific needs, especially since your situation involves moving between states. Additionally, reaching out to disability advocacy groups in Connecticut can provide you with additional support and resources tailored to your situation.

Lastly, it's essential to communicate clearly with both your current (California) and future (Connecticut) housing authorities about your medical needs and the necessity to relocate for health reasons. Provide them with all necessary documentation to support your case. Persistence is key, as is ensuring that all communication is documented. If communication with housing authorities is challenging, your legal representative can assist in navigating this process more effectively.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I only focus on accidents and drunk driving. You need a lawyer who is versed in housing law.

See if Justia has such a listing...otherwise real estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.