Richmond Hill, GA asked in Tax Law and Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: Having petitioned for a green card, I was given a social security number. When filing my taxes, what form should I use?

Having petitioned for a green card, I was given a social security number. In order to file my taxes, what form should I use?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've received a social security number after petitioning for a green card, you'll generally file your taxes using the same forms as other residents or citizens, primarily using Form 1040, the U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. This form is utilized by U.S. taxpayers to file an annual income tax return. Depending on your specific financial circumstances, you might also need to attach additional schedules or forms.

It's important to consider your residency status for tax purposes, as it can affect which tax forms you should use and how you report income. If you're considered a resident alien for tax purposes, you'll be taxed similarly to a U.S. citizen, which includes reporting worldwide income. For more detailed guidance, reviewing instructions provided by the IRS for Form 1040 or consulting with a tax professional can be beneficial.

Remember, the tax filing deadline in the United States typically falls on April 15th each year, unless it lands on a weekend or holiday, in which case it might be extended to the next business day. Make sure to gather all necessary documents, such as your W-2s, 1099s, and records of any deductible expenses before you begin your tax return. This will help ensure the process is smoother and more accurate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.