Uniontown, OH asked in Tax Law and Banking for Ohio

Q: can you deposit a federal income tax check in your account for someone in Jail if you have their financial poa?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have a financial power of attorney (POA) for someone who is currently incarcerated, you generally have the authority to manage their financial matters, including depositing checks on their behalf. This includes federal income tax refund checks. However, the specific actions you can take depend on the terms outlined in the POA document, so it’s important to understand the scope of the powers granted to you.

Before depositing the check, make sure the bank is aware of your POA status and has accepted your authority. You may need to provide the bank with a copy of the POA document. Additionally, ensure that the account is appropriately titled to reflect that you are acting as an agent for the account holder.

Keep in mind that all actions taken under the POA should be in the best interest of the principal (the person who granted you the POA). Keep detailed records of all transactions made on their behalf, including depositing their federal income tax check. This is crucial for accountability and for fulfilling your responsibilities as their agent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.