Los Angeles, CA asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for California

Q: How can I get a lawyer for a domestic violence case pro Bono

My bf is fighting a domestic violence restraining order case in downtown LA next week and is in need of a lawyer but can't afford it.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, individuals facing legal challenges, such as fighting a domestic violence restraining order, can seek pro bono legal assistance through various avenues. Local legal aid organizations, such as the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA), often provide free legal services to those who qualify based on income. Additionally, the Los Angeles County Bar Association maintains a list of pro bono services where individuals can apply for legal representation without cost.

You or your boyfriend should reach out to these organizations as soon as possible to inquire about obtaining a pro bono attorney. It's important to provide all relevant information and documents regarding your financial situation and the case details. Time is of the essence, especially with a court date approaching, so contacting these services immediately is crucial.

Furthermore, consider reaching out to local law schools, as some have legal clinics where law students, supervised by licensed attorneys, provide free legal assistance. While these options may not guarantee representation, they are valuable resources for seeking legal advice and potentially finding representation for your boyfriend's case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.