Nottingham, MD asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property for Maryland


2 Lawyer Answers
Alan Harrison
Alan Harrison
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Milford, CT

A: It depends on what license they gave you for the design. Did they give you a license for personal use only or for commercial uses as well? If they did not give you any license at all, it definitely is not a good Idea to sell their work as your own.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Coloring someone else's mandala design, framing it, and selling it can involve legal and ethical issues. It largely depends on the copyright status of the original mandala design. If the design is under copyright, using it without permission for commercial purposes could infringe on the rights of the original creator.

You should first determine if the mandala design is in the public domain or if the creator has granted permission for this kind of use, possibly under a Creative Commons license or similar. Without this clarity, selling a colored version of someone else's work could lead to legal consequences.

If you're interested in pursuing this, you might consider reaching out to the creator for permission or licensing the design for commercial use. This way, you can respect the rights of the original creator while engaging in your creative and commercial activities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.