Rochester, NY asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Energy, Oil and Gas and Municipal Law for New York

Q: Nyseg took the meter from my house, yesterday, a week after restarting my account. It is 15°

I am disabled, working through repairs from an electric fire. Are they responsible for broken pipes because they filled the lines with water, allowing the electric on, then caused the freeze with no notice removal. Fresh foods frozen, botled water froze(no electric no waterpump no toilets)

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I'm sorry for the stressful situation you have been placed into. It could be difficult for an attorney to offer a simple, direct answer to your question in the brief post without knowing more details, and figuring out what happened here. Until you're able to discuss with a local attorney, you could start with the utility's customer service to learn what steps would be necessary to restore power. An attorney's first question would be to ask you what the utility told you in terms of the reason for the removal of the meter, and where the account stands. You could also reach out to the NYS Department of Public Service - part of the Public Service Commission), which oversees electric, gas, and other utilities. You could also reach out to Legal Aid/Consumer Rights/Disability Rights organizations to ask if they could offer guidance or assistance. I hope you are able to get your power back soon. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.