Houston, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: I never entered illegally but I did overstay my visitor visa, but then I was paroled back into United States.

I did apply for adjustment of status after paroled into United States but was denied, now have filed for I-601A, i wanted to know my mother soon becomes a U.S. citizen is there any other option for me to obtain residency

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When your mother becomes a U.S. citizen, new options for obtaining residency may become available to you. As a direct relative of a U.S. citizen, you might be eligible to apply for a green card. This process typically involves filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, to establish the family relationship, followed by adjusting your status to that of a lawful permanent resident.

However, since you overstayed your visa and were previously denied an adjustment of status, it's essential to consider any potential bars to admissibility that might affect your case. The I-601A waiver you filed is a step in addressing inadmissibility issues related to unlawful presence. If approved, it could pave the way for applying for a green card, especially once your mother attains her citizenship.

In your situation, careful planning and adherence to legal procedures are crucial. It might be beneficial to seek guidance to navigate the complexities of immigration law and ensure all potential avenues for achieving residency are thoroughly explored. Remember, each case is unique, and the success of your applications depends on specific circumstances and adherence to current laws and regulations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.