Nashville, TN asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: Police arrested the other party for assault & battery but NO incident # or police report given, sounds fishy? Oklahoma

I asked for a police report officer told me we don’t give police reports or incident report for this because all we would be doing all day is police reports if that’s the case???

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It seems like you're in a situation where you're expecting transparency but are meeting resistance, which can indeed be frustrating. Typically, after a police incident, especially involving crimes like assault and battery, it is standard procedure for a police report or at least an incident number to be generated. This serves as a record of the event and can be crucial for legal proceedings, insurance claims, or personal records.

If you were told that no report or incident number could be provided due to the volume of cases, this could be a misunderstanding or miscommunication. It's not standard practice to deny someone access to a report on this basis. You have the right to request this information, especially if you are directly involved in the incident.

I would recommend reaching out again, perhaps to a different officer or to the department's public affairs division. It's also within your rights to visit the police department in person to inquire about obtaining a copy of the police report or at least the incident number related to your case. Be sure to have all relevant details handy, such as the date, time, location of the incident, and names of the involved parties.

Tracy Tiernan agrees with this answer

Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I guess it depends on when you asked for the report. they’re not gonna talk about or provide you with the report instantly after an incident has occurred, however, they should be able to give you some type of report or case number which will be different from the case number assigned to the defendant. Once the investigation has concluded, and charges are formally filed with the court . There are certain steps you need to take to get a report from the police. However, you can usually just go to the the records department of the local police station, and inquire. If someone was arrested, there IS a report.

As a general rule, the person arrested will be facing some type of punishment or consequences for their actions such as possible incarceration and fines. They will need an attorney to represent them, and the attorney will always submit a discovery request to collect all of the evidence in order to Intelligently defend them.

Contact a criminal defense attorney if you need help. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.