Pickerington, OH asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: Is it possible to kick an ex out of our house and off the deed/mortgage?

We live together in Ohio and have one minor child and are not married and never were. My ex refuses to leave and also will not pay the mortgage (his agreed half of the bills when we bought the home).

How can I get my EX name off the property since I have been the only one paying the mortgage?

Can my Ex name be removed without buying out or selling the property? If we have to do a buy out, can I get all the money/mortgage payments I have paid into the house for the past year+?

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: What you want to do is not impossible. It is however highly improbable. What you will need to do as file and action called partition period you should seek out attorney who regularly practices real estate law in your county. It would be better still if that attorney practices family law. You only do provide you return proof of the form of documents demonstrate that you are the one who has been paying on the mortgage and the other utilities associated with the property. Typically, however call courtyard order a sale of the property, if the parties cannot agree then order a distribution of the proceeds. This may ultimately permit to buy out what the court determines is your ex's actual equity is in the property.

Nicholas P. Weiss agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.