Sacramento, CA asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Child Custody and Legal Malpractice for Nevada

Q: My attorney wont provide me with proof that he emailed the other attorney requesting a continuance like he said he did.

I was the victim of a violent crime that almost took my life resulting in very sever injuries, surgery, an extended hospital stay & months of rehab. I also had to move to another county during the investigation for my safety. I was unable to submit a reply or exhibits to a motion to change custody in time for trial due to these extreme events. I hired an attorney to explain all this and request continuance from opposing counsel, he told me he emailed them &they opposed our request? Then at the beginning of trial, he requested from the judge but intentionally did not tell the judge that I was almost murdered resulting in an extended hospital stay & surgeries & no mention of moving to another county during investigation like we discussed just minutes before. All he said was I had sustained an injury and there was an ongoing investigation? No context. Thats all he said. Request was denied. Now he wont provide me the initial "email request" to OC before trial that he claimed he sent.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Legal Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: In Nevada, If the attorney no longer represents you and your bill is paid, you can request your entire file.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.