Cookeville, TN asked in Contracts, Products Liability, Real Estate Law and Construction Law for Tennessee

Q: I bought a new home here in Crossville in August, '23. Now builder is refusing to honor 1 year warranty. What can I do?

Have had several issues come up which builder has addressed. However, he has refused to finish. For instance, house is settling which caused doors to not close properly and a crack in an interior wall. He fixed doors, but has not fixed the crack. Also, there is a retaining wall in our front yard that has begun to bulge/lean. He refuses to fix or even come and look at this. Also, my realtor has contacted the realtor of original sale/owner and he hasn't responded either. Is there any legal recourse? I don't understand how selling realtor and builder can ignore defective construction.

2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hire a lawyer to sue on the warranty all liable parties.

Henry Ambrose
Henry Ambrose pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Look for a lawyer near you who practices construction related law. If the work is defective you have a claim. Your contract will also determine the extent of your claim. Unless you are willing to live with the problems, hire a lawyer and do something about it. A sternly worded demand letter from the lawyer may get the builder's attention.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.